It is imperative to register within 14 days of your arrival in India with FRRO.

If you stay more than 6 months, you must register with the FRRO (East Block, No. 8, Level-II, R.K. Puram-1, New Delhi-110066 - that is behind Bhikaji Cama - 9.30 am-3 pm). The FRRO director is an IPS officer. Try to go early. Show your passport at the entrance by mentioning "Registration", then enter the building on your left side, go to the enquiry/reception desk where you get a green Application Form for Registration and a counter number. Make two copies of the green form and fill in all three, then queue in front of that counter.


  • your passport
  • a copy of the passport + student / research visa
  • a bonafide student letter from Centre / School
  • a proof of residence
  • scholarship holders take the ICCR certificate
  • non-scholarship holders need proof of sufficient funds (on a bank account) - this is not always asked;
  • 4 passport photos;
  • check your air/train fare for the flight/train number with which you arrived in India;
  • a pen and a book to read while you wait.
  • Fill in the 3 copies of APPLICATION FORM FOR REGISTRATION and 1 Residence Permit (RC) booklet;

If you forgot, you can make copies+photos at FRRO.

if you do not yet have permanent place to stay, get a proof of residence of your provisional place of stay and as soon as you shift to a permanent place, go to FRRO to inform them with a new proof of residence.


  • extension of the stay for the duration of the course.
  • grant of 1 additional entry / year (e.g. for fieldwork).
  • permission to change institution and course if both are approved, recognized and full time course.

Change of visa from tourist to student/research:

  • go to FRRO and get a slip from the enquiry counter for MHA (Jaisalmer House, Mansingh Road 26, New Delhi-11, 9.30-12 am)
  • in MHA at the desk you get 2 application forms to be filled in - tick the box "visa conversion"
  • give a copy of your passport and visa
  • wait till the announcement of your name
  • answer the question "Why do you want to change your visa and how long will you stay for studies?"
  • show your admission letter
  • in the afternoon a letter will be issued which you take to FRRO
  • in FRRO the enquiry desk will give you a white form for the visa and a green one (make 2 more copies) for your RC
  • see above for the FRRO Registration Requirements
  • pay again the visa fee (depending on your nationality, SAARC citizens pay 10% of the rest of the world)

    Also in FRRO:

    • extension of stay up to 15 days if you have a confirmed air ticket if no flight is not available.
    • regularisation of overstay of visa up to 3 months under genuine exigent conditions.
    • short extension of 3 months for foreigners applying for a long term extension on student visa.
    • endorsement of old visa/exit permission on new passport in case you lost your passport.
    • Visa extensions and restricted area permits (e.g. Sikkim, Manipur, Andaman Islands);
    • You need permission ("no objection") from FRRO in your RC when you leave India if you do not have a multiple entry visa.
    • If you have to leave India urgently, the MHA (Jaisalmer House, Mansingh Road 26, New Delhi-11, 9.30 am-12.00) can give you a letter for FRRO to issue a “Return Visa” if you do not have a multiple entry visa.


    • those travelling by air are permitted to exit from an airport different from the airport of entry.
    • those travelling by land have to enter and exit through the same land check post.
    • those entering by air are allowed to leave through land check post if they inform the check post of entry. Those entering through Haridaspur land check post only can be allowed to exit through Calcutta airport.
    • Students can be allowed to go to third countries for fieldwork if they have supporting documents.


    • All students up to MPhil need a student visa before coming to India.
    • In 1997 a new “research” visa was introduced which is necessary to register for PhD students. Those who go home between Mphil and PhD can get it done in the Indian High Commission given sufficient time (make sure you have the necessary papers from your Centre before you leave India and be aware that it can take between 6 months and more than 1 year before you get the research visa in your home country), otherwise you have to come back to India on a student visa and change it into a research visa in India (faster procedure).
    • it is much faster to apply for the research visa in India and to get it in India, rather than going home and applying for it from the Indian embassy in your capital as the application will have to travel back to India and back to your country and it will complicate matters.
    • Self-financing students have to do it through the HRD Ministry (Shastri Bhavan) and MHA.
    • ICCR scholarship holders’ applications will have to go only through MHA.

    You Need

    • 6 application forms signed by the VC or Registrar or Chairperson (forms can be downloaded from HRD website of  Department of Education, or get it from the Indian High Commission in your country);
    • 6 copies of a bonafide certificate (“affiliation certificate”) stating that you are a JNU student;
    • 6 copies of your passport and visa;
    • 6 copies of your synopsis (do not include the words “supercomputers, remote sensing, religion, North East, Kashmir, communal, Islam” in the title) of minimum 1,000 words (2-3 pages);
    • 6 copies of the description of where you want to go for fieldwork (“itinerary”); and
    • 6 photographs.

    Research Visa: Procedure for applying in India

  • 1. you can download the Research visa application form from HRD ministry;
    2. make 5 more copies so that you have 6 in total;
    3. fill in everything;
    4. attach 6 photographs;
    5. go to HRD Ministry (ONLY between 14h30 and 16h), it's in Shastri
    Bhavan, that is a big building if you take the 615 bus it goes on
    Janpath and once you pass the National Archives on your left side, you
    take the next street left and Shastri Bhavan is on your left side
    6. there you ask where you have to deposit your 6 copies, they will tell you at
    the entrance on the ground floor where you get a security pass;
    7. ask them when you get the Acknowledgment Letter - normally they
    give it after 2 days (tell them you are leaving urgently);
    8. with this Acknowledgment Letter you can go to FRRO and get a visa
    extension of your student visa for 6 months pending your Research visa
    - even if your current visa is not expired yet, you may ask to get a
    multiple entry to go home and come back to India;
    9. after some months you will get the research visa in India instead of in your home country.
  • Attention: in your 6 copies they ask you where you want the visa to be
    issued, don't write "High Commission Seoul", but "New Delhi, India"!


  • Make a free website with Yola