In 2010 there are 2325 ICCR scholarships in India for 3550 scholarship holders from about 80 countries as against more than 30,000 self-financing students. On a total of over 200 foreign JNU students (± 40 nationalities), about half are ICCR scholarship holders. The types of scholarships of most students in JNU are: CEP, GCSS, Commonwealth, SAARC. To know whether there are scholarships (and which type) for students from your country, click on


During admission and in case of problems go to the ICCR (Azad Bhavan, IP Estate, New Delhi-110002, near ITO).

The ICCR pays you the first 3 scholarship months (starting when you join) in one time. You get a bearer’s cheque (ICCR Accounts Section, 3rd floor) and you have to cash it in the SBI branch (1030am-2pm) behind the building across the street from the ICCR exit gate.

Ask for these useful ICCR publications (free!):

  • Information on Scholarship Schemes”;

  • Studying in India” (a guidebook which we have co-edited and which quotes from the info on this site);

  • the ICCR Newsletter (a JNU student is co-editor): everyone can write articles, give them to ICCR to publish.

Give the Joining Report + a copy of the fee receipt (see ADMISSION) to ICCR as soon as possible.


Am I under ISD I or II? Ask for the sheet “Contact Telephone Numbers in International Students Divisions” - see yellow page - where you can fill in your file No. and name of “Dealing Hand”.

For every visit/call/letter to ICCR, mention clearly:

  • the name of your kind of scholarship scheme;

  • the year you joined;

  • the name of your country;

  • your ICCR file number; and

  • the name of the officer dealing with you(r country)

Every request or change concerning the scholarship has to be done in writing and requires the signature and stamp of your chairperson and supervisor.


ICCR sends the fee directly to JNU. Check your name on the list in the JNU Finance Section (Admn. Bld., room 013). If it’s not there, phone your ICCR officer and ask for the cheque number if it is sent separately. Then check whether it has arrived in the Accounts Section (1st. floor, room 242), and then again with the Finance Section.


You can claim your scholarship until your degree is finished unless you "indulge in objectionable activities"; the exact month from/till when your scholarship lasts is mentioned on your joining report (submitted to ICCR at the beginning).

Monthly stipends: BA / MA / MCA / MSc / Mtech Rs. 2,500; Mphil / PhD Rs. 3,500; post-doc. Rs. 4,000.
For the combined MPhil + PhD degrees the earlier automatic rule that you would get a scholarship for 5½ years has been changed: the period now will be revised yearly depending on the recommendation of your supervisor.

To claim your stipend you fill in a Scholarship / Fellowship Claim Form from your School office:

  1. write clearly in big letters on top of the page:
    "ICCR / INDO - [your country name] CEP"
    (CEP = the kind of scholarship, check yours!);

  2. strike out "Fellowship awarded by _______" and write "ICCR" instead;

  3. "Rate" and "Amount" are the monthly amount of Rs. 4,500 (BA ), Rs. 5,000 (MA / MSc); 6,000 (Mphil / PhD); 6,500 (post-doctoral).

  4. If you want the money on your bank account, write your bank account number on the form.

  5. ask your supervisor/chairperson to sign/stamp;

  6. "Report of Outstanding Dues" on the reverse side of the form must NOT be filled in;

  7. drop it in the box on the desk in front of the Assistant-Finance Officer in Admn. Bld., room 013.

You can claim your scholarship for the current month, for past month(s) and, in the last week of a month, for the next month. It may take a looong working week for the paperwork. There is no control whatsoever on whether and when you deposit the claim form or on the administrative procedure to pay the scholarships, so foreign students themselves must remember their financial situation. You may (ask to) check in the big "ICCR" book in the Finance Section (first page contains your name and page number) the amounts from ICCR which are received and issued; in case of complaints go directly to the Finance Officer (2nd floor, room 214). ICCR sends the money to JNU for three months at a time.

The payment may take place in two ways: either by transfer to your bank account or by cheque. In the latter case the cashier in room 013 will ask for two revenue stamps of Re. 1 (from the Post Office) to be pasted and signed on the application forms. You can then cash the cheque ONLY in the SBI of the campus (see VIII. BANKING).


  • Get a Contingent Grant Bill Form (from the School);

  • Write under "Total" and "Amount": Rs. 4,500 (BA); 6,500 (MA); 12,000 (Mphil / PhD) or 10,000 (post-doctoral) for Humanities; and Rs. 10,000 (Mphil / PhD) or Rs. 15,000 (post-doctoral) for science;

  • Leave "Particulars" empty and no need of vouchers;

  • Signature/stamp of supervisor/chairperson;

  • Drop it in the Finance Section (room 013) box.


Off campus you get a House Rent Allowance (HRA) of maximum Rs. 3,500 per month and the establishing charges per semester in a hostel (NOT mess bill) will be reimbursed. Write an application with the original receipt (signed by the landlord/hostel warden) and send it to the ICCR. Once the hostel is provided, you cannot shift to a private room and receive HRA.


All expenses will be reimbursed only on the advise of the JNU Health Centre and if they happened due to the non-availability of services on the campus. Dentures, spectacles, surgical appliances or artificial aids are not refunded. This includes specialist treatment in private hospitals if danger to life is involved or no adequate facilities exist in government hospitals and you are referred in writing (you have to show proof) by the Health Centre or government doctors or by your chairperson. Immediately contact ICCR and keep all certificates, prescriptions and bills and submit them all signed/stamped by your chairperson with a written explanation on ICCR claim forms ‘Claim for Medical Expenses”. You have maximum one month to claim refunds.


Both scholarship holders and foreign non-scholarship holders can participate in the ‘wild’ ICCR trips (e.g. to Sikkim, Goa, Bangalore) organised in May and December. Check the notice board in the JNU library, take a form from ICCR (Welfare) or the FSA office and pay with a bank draft. ICCR (Welfare) has the tour information. You will have to pay for the train fare (get concession forms for those under 25), but everything else is paid for by ICCR. In case of accidents both scholarship holders and others are medically covered by ICCR. The trips are refundable up to Rs.2000/year for scholarship holders: apply afterwards.

Individual study tours on advice of the supervisor and chairperson and submitted 4-5 weeks before departure may be refunded after completion (submit the bills within 3 months): 1st. class rail non AC (Calcutta, Mumbai, Chennai) or (other places). There is no limit for the number of trips or their duration.


The amount spent for typing, drafts, printing, xeroxing, binding etc. of the dissertation/thesis is refunded on production of the bills with a maximum of Rs. 10,000 (Ph.D) and Rs. 7,000 for others. All the original bills have to be signed individually by the supervisor and you have to give them together with an applications letter which indicates the total sum.


  • Students who leave for more than two months should inform ICCR of their absence, if they don’t, their scholarship may be stopped.

  • ICCR issues concession forms for under 25 (railways) and under 30 (air fares) within India.

  • While waiting in ICCR, check out the Ajanta Art Gallery (AC!, next to the auditorium), the library (1st floor), the cafeteria (chai, lunch), or get free passes for ICCR organised functions (1st floor).

  • ICCR officers usually only get people with complaints; it is, however, also allowed to express your appreciation if you are satisfied.


For social sciences the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial in Teen Murti Marg offers a number of scholarships to foreign PhD students from Asia: full tuition (US $ 600), monthly stipend (Rs. 6,000) and annual contingency fund (Rs. 10,000); apply before 31st May. UGC also offers scholarships for other sciences, but only to certain nationalities, and they do not cover the tuition fee. Some international organisations or embassies also offer scholarships. ICSSR offers scholarships and check also the ICCR page and ICCR brochures. JNU itself does not offer any scholarships, but you may apply for a registration fee waiver (see under "Admission and Registration").


Make a free website with Yola